Painting metal kitchen cabinets

Old 09-09-00, 11:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am admittedly not a do it your selfer, but am trying to be an educated consumer. I recently hired somebody to paint my metal kitchen cabinets from sunshine yellow to white. Some of the cabinets came out with a nice white glossy look (desirable to me) but most of them came out with a matte finish (very difficult to clean). Is there anything that can be done to get the glossy finish? and/or was this possibly the result of incomplete preparation on the painter's part?

Old 09-10-00, 05:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Sight unseen I can only tell you what I believe it could be.

The matt finish is probably due to not enough paint was sprayed on for it to flow out properly, there is a fine line, not enough will produce the matt or orange peel look, too much and it will run.
Or, the paint WAS smooth and already tacked or dry and when spraying near it (same paint),and got overspray on the tacked or dried paint.

The only way to fix this is lightly sanding and re-spraying them. Call your painters back in and have them fix it. Yes, it will be almost like starting over, it is your call whether you think it is worth it or not.

Don't be too hard on them, every seasoned painter has experienced this one time or another. If it was NOT sprayed please post back and tell us how it was applied.

Old 09-10-00, 05:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lost in space:
I am admittedly not a do it your selfer, but am trying to be an educated consumer. I recently hired somebody to paint my metal kitchen cabinets from sunshine yellow to white. Some of the cabinets came out with a nice white glossy look (desirable to me) but most of them came out with a matte finish (very difficult to clean). Is there anything that can be done to get the glossy finish? and/or was this possibly the result of incomplete preparation on the painter's part?<HR>
I forgot to mention that some of the edges of the cabinets are starting to peel. The painter said that not all the grease and dirt may have been removed at these sites. Could this have contributed in any way to the matt finish?

Old 09-10-00, 09:42 PM
Visiting Guest
No, I wouldn't think so, it can and will cause it to peel though. If the cabinets were smooth when they painted then they should be smooth. Run your hand over them, if it feels like overspray, it probably is. Another tactick is to look at them at an angle with the light opposite from you, you can see most flaws this way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: