drywall help

Old 09-16-00, 05:46 AM
Visiting Guest
MY WALLS ARE UNEVEN BECAUSE OF POOR FINISHING AND TAPING. AND ONE WALL IS WALL PAPERED WITH PROFESIONAL PAPER THAT IS TEXTURED AND APPLIED WITH VERY STRONG GLUE. I WAS THINKING OF PAINTING OVER PAPERERED WALL BUT I AM NOT SURE OF WHAT TO DO WITH UNEVEN WALLS? ITS A VERY LARGE ROOM ANYPAINT TRICKS THAT WOULD HELP MINIMIZE THE MESS?
HELP!!!CONFUSED

Old 09-16-00, 09:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Diamondgal39:

I suppose you could scratch out all that poorly done joint tape with a paint scraper and do them over with fiberglass mesh. Fiberglass mesh is a lot easier for DIY'ers to use because it doesn't require the skill that only comes with practice to do a good job like paper tape does.

Another option would be to cover those poorly done seams with a coat of plaster. Go to any drywall wholesaler and ask to see what they have in the way of "curved trowels". A curved trowel looks for all the world like an ordinary trowel... until you lay it flat on a table and notice that it curves up in the middle about 1/8 inch. This allows you to lay a very shallow and smooth mound of plaster over the poorly done seams. Curved trowels are often used by professionals when they're finishing joints in cut drywall that doesn't have a contoured edge on both sides. The curved trowel will allow you to cover those poorly done seams smoothly with little or no experience. They cost about $25 to $40 (Cdn), depending on the size you get, but you only need a small one (say 11 inch).

Old 09-17-00, 08:56 PM
Visiting Guest
I have fixed mud work that was put on with bare hands and small putty knifes, needless to say my work was cut out for me. This is far more difficult than starting from new. My suggestion would be get a mudman to come in and re-float the joints, replacing the tape where nesasary. If it is textured have them skim the walls and re-texture or leave a flat finish. I would suggest at least a light texture to help hide the bad joints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: