painting inexpensively and painting on textured surfaces

Old 09-19-00, 11:39 AM
Visiting Guest
I will be moving into a townhome where I will be allowed to do some minor redecorating. I am weighing my options between wallpapering and painting. The bathrooms have wallpaper already, and all of the other walls are textured surfaces. Can you give some direction for doing things inexpensively, and choosing the right kind of paint, and also, what does removing wallpaper entail? What kind of problems can I expect to enounter? What kind of problems can I expect to encounter in painting on a textured surface, and remedies? I am a true beginner in home decorating/remodling.

Old 09-19-00, 08:59 PM
Visiting Guest
curiousgeorge@oklahoma.ne, As far as painting textured walls go there is no difference from painting smooth walls. The biggest concern in stripping paper is destroying the wall while stripping. This is to be avoided at all cost. Get wallpaper stripper solution and most times it will strip the paper. Put the stripper on and let it work into the paper rewetting several times until it begins to break down and let go. Some paper strips in 2 layers so be sure to get the back off if this is the case....Mike

Old 09-20-00, 04:55 AM
Visiting Guest
As for paint, always get your paint from a paint store. Its only a few dollars more per gallon and the quality difference is tremaendous. Use quality tools. A $2 brush will be more work and not look as good.

Sheen is a prersonal choice. Flat paint hides minor imperfections better than other sheens. I prefer eggshell or satin on my walls. For a bathroom I prefer semi-gloss, other stay with the satin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: