Painting Pressure Treated Lumber

Old 09-20-00, 04:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am considering replacing the molding around my exterior entrance door with pressure treated lumber due to the constant exposure to the weather. The pine decorative molding around the door now is rotting, and I was wondering if I could replace it with pressure treated and paint it. Is there any speacial steps to take when painting pressure treated, and will the paint last?

Old 09-20-00, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Most pressure-treated lumber is allowed to drip-dry in the manufacturing plant yard, and it usually takes a while for it to dry out, so that it can be painted/stained. Some of it, however (stamped KDAT), is kiln-dried after treatment and is ready to paint when it leaves the yard.
You can cut, prime and paint p-t wood like any other, just wear a mask and don't breath the dust when sawing or sanding (the CCA in it is toxic).
To my knowledge, they don't make p-t brick molding which is around many doors (they should), but you might be able to create some with a router out of 2X4s. If you want to use all p-t and then non-treated brick molding, just paint/seal the ends (especially at the bottom where it tends to wick up water) and caulk all of the seams.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: