Peel Away

Old 09-21-00, 04:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

While traveling I happened to see part of an infomercial for Peel Away and later checked their website. I've also noticed that Hy here on this board recommends it.

We're in the process of restoring a 90 year old house and it seems like Peel Away is just the product we need to remove interior paint on woodwork and doors.

My questions --
How difficult is the product to use?
How long does it take to remove paint? (For instance, is it reasonable to think that woodwork in a bedroom could be stripped in a few days?)
Are there any safety issues that need to be addressed before using the product?

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Old 09-22-00, 09:22 PM
Visiting Guest
How difficult is the product to use? Not difficult. But, "Peel Away" represents more than one product.

How long does it take to remove paint? Generally removal is 24 hours after application.

Are there any safety issues that need to be addressed before using the product? Safety concerns exist with any paint remover or removal method.

Paints are chemical emulsions, colloids, or suspensions. Reasonably all chemical paint removers (capable of chemically attacking the paint film or dissolving it) contain at least one component that is detrimental to Humans in one or more ways. Advice: read the labeling and follow directions for use. Obtain an MSDS sheet or look the product up in one of the free MSDS databases on the Web.

Before starting purchase a Lead test kit. If lead paint exists (likely) verify that you will be allowed to remove and dispose of Lead Paint. For applicable laws and regulations: Locally: call the Building and Health Departments. State: call the State Health and Environmental Agencies. If it's allowed inform yourself on safe handling, removal, and disposal of Lead Paint. The EPA web site: http://www.epa.gov/

Old 09-23-00, 07:39 AM
Visiting Guest
PEEL AWAY is an easy safe way of doing your removal and the amount of area you can do depends on you. Do not apply any more product in anmy given day then you are able to clean down the following day. If you are going to re paint the surface use PEEL AWAY I and if you are going to try and keep and re finish natural you need PEEL AWAY 7. PEEL AWAY I will do about 20 sq. ft to a gallon and PEEL AWAY 7 about forty sq. ft. Both are safe for removal of lead based paint since the system is always keeping the paint in a wet or damp state so there is no airborne lead dust. Visit the web site at www.peelaway.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: