Choosing the right primer

Old 09-25-00, 08:46 AM
Visiting Guest
I am in the process of painting previously stained and varnished woodwork. I have done this in other rooms and I don't feel I have used the right primer. It has involved more than one coat of primer and at least 3 coats of paint. I know I should be able to do it with one coat of primer and two top coats if I have the right product. I have used a Behr primer from Home Depot that doesn't allow for an oil-based top coat, and this time I want to use oil based paint. I just phoned Kilz customer service--they recommended Kilz original or Kilz Ultra, but explained that my woodwork could have a certain kind of stain that will come through pink after priming. If that is the case, they say I would need a shellac-based primer. Help!! What are some examples of shellac based primers? I have no idea what kind of stain was used--it was done 50 years ago. I would welcome advice. Thanks--tnjtremble@aol.com

Old 09-25-00, 01:36 PM
Visiting Guest
tnjtremble@aol.com, I can't comment from personal experience on Behr paints but if you read past posts from the last 60 days you will find many negative comments. To answer some questions, Parks Primer Sealer, Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac Based are two fine primers that will hold back whatever is there. To be certain other brands of primer are shellac based look for tool washing instructions. These primers are washed up with denatured alcohol. If you don't have a pro quality natural bristol brush, get one. Use top of the line paint from Sherwin -Willaims, Devoe, Benjamin Moore and, by reading past posts, some others that may be available in your area. You may be able to avoid the shellac primer if you will get a top name brand oil primer and prep your trim prior to starting......Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: