removing "antique" finish from hardware

Old 09-26-00, 06:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I would like to redo my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are currently a DARK stained look from the 70's. It was suggested the proper steps were clean well, use a liquid sander (pesos), primer (possibly 2 coats) and then my quality latex paint. First, would someone who might have experience please confirm and last but not least... my mother-in-law insists that she saw on a home improvement show that the hinges and pulls that are currently an antique brass look could be soaked in some type of liquid that removed the finish and they were bright again. However, she does not remember what the liquid was. I have tried degreaser, bleach, paint thinner and ammonia. All to no avail, but that one handle sure is clean. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Old 09-26-00, 09:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Pasco or liquid sandpaper will work, but, these products contain solvents that will harm other surfaces like vinyl flooring, counter tops, and corian. They are flammable and toxic also. It's more work but sanding with 220 first. Then use a liquid sandpaper for the final cleaning and deglossing. This promotes better adhesion.

Before removing the antique brass finish (with lacquer thinner) there are couple of things you should know. First, many antiqued brass handles and pulls are not solid brass. They are plated pot metal or steel, with as little as 5 mils of brass plating. If the lacquer is removed it is likely that some of the brass plating will be removed, plus the remaining plating will wear off very quickly.

Remove the finish only if the handles are solid brass. Solid brass is heavy. Remove a handle and gauge the heft of it in your hand. If if feels heavy, take a file and file the finish off at a screw hole; then make a notch. Solid brass is the same color all the way through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: