Rusty Door

Old 09-30-00, 02:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a Stanley 6 panel steel entrance door that I was going to repaint, and noticed small bubbles under the paint. Further investigation revealed that these were small rust spots under the paint. Should I replace the door or can it be saved, and if so what is the proper technique?

Old 09-30-00, 05:31 AM
Visiting Guest
You do not have to replace the door if the rust spots didn't make a hole in the metal. You need to scrape the spots and wire brush out any loose rust, prime with a oil based rust inhibitive primer then paint (sinse the door was probably painted with an oil paint, I would go back with an oil paint, unless you reprime the whole door). If you want to create a smoother finish, remove all rust to bare metal, use Bondo to fill in the spots, sand smooth prime and paint. If it did create small holes, Bondo should work as long as the hole are no bigger than, say, 1/8 in wide.

Be sure to clean any dirt or grease and lightly sand the whole door (220 grit) and wipe off all dust prior to painting, and use a quality paint from a pro paint store, interior on the inside, exterior on the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: