painting concrete basement floor

Old 10-01-00, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
i am planning to paint the floor of our basement. the concrete is bare and should be cleaned (i am sure) I do not want to use too much water to clean. Can you recommend a cleaning method and do I have to prime/seal before painting? What do you recommend for paint that is durable, made for this use and not too smelly when applied?

Old 10-01-00, 10:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Lina Mae:

What you clean it with depends on what's on that floor. If it's just dusty, then wetting it down WELL, scrubbing a bit with a push broom, then picking up the water with a wet/dry Shop Vac would work well. If you don't have a Shop Vac, maybe don't wet it down quite so much, scrub a bit with a steel brush, and clean up the dirty water with a sponge, an empty pail for dirty water and a pail of clean water to rinse the sponge out in before picking up more dirty water.

You could always rent a carpet shampooer with a wand to use as a wet/dry vaccuum and use the wand to recover the dirty water off the floor. I can't see it hurting either the wand or the machine.

If you have anything that's kinda hard to clean off the floor, I'd try cleaning it with acetone and a steel brush. Someone jumps all over me whenever I mention acetone, but the fact is that it dissolves a lot of stuff that would otherwise be hard to remove from concrete, and it mixes readily with water, so you can remove that diry acetone before it evaporates with a damp sponge and bucket of water, thereby removing the dissolved stain in the process.

After cleaning, give the floor a few days to dry. Then, split a clear plastic bag open, set it down on the floor, tape it down to the concrete ALL AROUND the perimeter and watch to see if it fogs up. If it does, then the floor isn't dry enough to paint yet, and tape another bag down to see what it'll look like in comparison to the first in a few days. This will give you a "feel" for when the concrete is really and truly dry.

So far as painting goes, I'd check with the paint store to see if they have any OIL BASED FLOOR PAINTS that can be painted directly over bare concrete. I kinda doubt any oil based ones would. If not, then I'd use either Zinsser's BIN primer or Zinsser's Bullseye 123 primer first, then an oil based FLOOR paint. Both Zinsser's primers are well known for being able to stick to just about anything, so I expect both will stick to bare concrete real good. Water based floor paints aren't good enough yet to be considered as a decent paint for a floor. They're still way too soft.

Old 10-01-00, 10:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Lina Mae:

After having submitted that last post, I had a better idea...

I want you to go to any Sherwin Williams paint store and ask about a relatively new technology called "waterborne acrylic paints".

Waterborne acrylic paint is a water based paint that dries to a surface almost as hard as an oil based paint, but probably not nearly as hard as an oil based floor paint.
There is something called a "Sward" test for testing the hardness of paints. A typical latex paint will score a 5 on this test, whereas a typical oil based paint will be about 9. A waterborne acrylic paint will be an 8... almost as hard as an oil based paint.

What I'm suggesting you consider doing is cleaning the floor first, then after it's dry, painting it with the Zinsser's Bullseye 123 primer, then topcoating with the waterborne acrylic paint.

Because the Zinsser's primer is a water based primer and the top coat is acrylic, then the paint on the floor will "breathe". That means that any moisture in the concrete can evaporate through the paint without lifting that paint off the concrete (provided the amount of moisture isn't too much for the paint's ability to breathe).

If you're concerned about the paint peeling off the floor because of moisture coming up through the concrete, then this is the best game plan (other than gluing down a carpet) to prevent the paint from peeling off the concrete.

Old 10-02-00, 09:50 AM
Visiting Guest
I saw something interesting just yesterday on TV on one of those do it yourself programs regarding painting concrete front porch on the outside of the house. Someone on this list may be able to tell you if it is advisable to do the same thing in a basement.....
BUT......this is how they did it on TV.

Of course concrete was clean, but they sprayed one color(black) sporatically on the concrete, in an acid based concrete paint, then they did the same thing in another color(rust) and then topped with a sealer.

This looked beautiful on TV and it coordinated with the color of brick on their front porch.

Old 01-04-09, 09:06 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Concrete Floor

We are in the middle of painting an old garage floor that has been turned into a den. I want to know if we should put down some sort of sealer to keep paint from scuffing or getting scratches. This is where the grandkids hang out and needs to be tough....

Old 01-04-09, 11:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A good floor enamel shouldn't need any extra protection.

Old 01-04-09, 06:54 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ;54486
i am planning to paint the floor of our basement. the concrete is bare and should be cleaned (i am sure) I do not want to use too much water to clean. Can you recommend a cleaning method and do I have to prime/seal before painting? What do you recommend for paint that is durable, made for this use and not too smelly when applied?
I dont remember the name, but there is a compound made for cleaning concrete. I used it in my garage before I painted the floor. Check at lowes or home depot.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.playstationreview.com/playstation-reviews/pages/1825/what-is-the-best-psp-action-or-shooting-game-that-has-teamplay.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.playstationreview.com/playstation-reviews/pages/1825/what-is-the-best-psp-action-or-shooting-game-that-has-teamplay.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: