Painting and Finishing Dining Table

Old 10-01-00, 09:50 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a burgundy dining table that a want to protect and bring out the wood grain with a clear coat of something. Should I use vanish, shellac or lacquer?

I have seen tables that appears to have a 1/4" of the clear coat material on it. How is the clear coat applied without leaving brush tracks or roller marks?

Old 10-01-00, 10:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Pike:

That's a question that I'd like to know the answer to myself. Maybe try the Furniture Refinishing forum.

Old 10-04-00, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
That really thick clear coating is epoxy. You can buy kits to do that at craft stores and DIY stores. For a really durable finish that won't discolor your paint, use water-based urethane. Zip-Guard is really good.

Old 10-04-00, 02:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Refinisher:
That really thick clear coating is epoxy. You can buy kits to do that at craft stores and DIY stores. For a really durable finish that won't discolor your paint, use water-based urethane. Zip-Guard is really good.<HR>

Refinisher, thanks for your reply. Currently, my dining table was a coat of urethane. Not sure if it is water or oil-based. Had a very difficult time applying the stuff, especially the top of the table.
Started by brushing, left brush marks, stripped it down, tried roller, left little hairs, stripped it down, tried spronge roller, left bubbles, left it. I am planning to redo it.

This epoxy you refer to, is it unusual on a family dining table, is it easy to apply and dry?

The water-based urethane you refer to, what is the best method of applying the stuff, making the job look professional??

Thanks

Pike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: