painting wood frames a dark color

Old 10-07-00, 05:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have painted my door frames of the inside of my home with an exterior acrylic latex. The color I used is a hunter green, I find it will not cover the wood unless I give it at least three to four coats , and now it peeling off what can I do to keep ot this color , but fix my problem.

Old 10-07-00, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
This is a delima many people have posted in all the forums I have seen, since most trim is originally painted with an oil based paint, the best way to recoat with latex is to reprime with a quality oil based primer before using latex, the best way to remedy this is to remove the latex then prime and repaint or remove the latex and paint with an oil based paint. You can try a putty knife to scrape the latex off, being carefull not to damage the wood. Priming now, without removal of the latex will do little good, it will not make the existing latex adhere. It is a mess and I wish there was an easier solution.

When painting interior you need to use interior paint, there are some exteriors that can put off hazerdous fumes with time, but a few door jams is probably not enough to worry with, with the exception that it is peeling.

When changing colors drastically you can have the paint store tint the primer close to what you are painting with to help it cover in fewer coats, be sure to ask them not to over tint resulting in less than exceptional adhereing.

------------------------------------------

Oh yea, using a quality paint from a pro paint store such as Sherwin Williams or Ben. Moore will help in covering in less coats , as well as being more durable.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited October 07, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: