TSP liquid vs powder

Old 10-08-00, 02:13 PM
Visiting Guest
I am going to be painting my kitchen walls. I have found 2 types of TSP, a liquid made by Jasco which it says to leave on the wall, and a powder you mix with water but rinse off the wall. Which is better? I have an oil based paint with a latex over it that is peeling. I would like to continue on with latex after removing most of what I can of the peeling paint.

Old 10-08-00, 10:45 PM
Visiting Guest
DoItYourselfGirl:

I have always used the powder mixed with water to make TSP. I suggest you do the same. A liquid TSP kinda sounds a lot like a crop circle, and I don't know exactly what it would and wouldn't do, so you pretty well have to trust the instructions on that one.

However, powdered TSP is what I'm used to and that's what I KNOW will work. Rinse it off the wall well prior to painting, or your paint will peel off.

Maybe let someone else try that liquid TSP that you leave on the wall prior to painting. It might work, but I'd prefer someone else tried it on their wall before I tried it on mine. You agree?

Old 10-09-00, 05:08 AM
Visiting Guest
I to would hesitant in leaving the liquid on the wall, but I the dry powder and have not tried the liquid.

In order for you to paint a latex on oil, you will need to remove all the existing latex off the existing oil you can, you will need to prime the oil based paint with a quality oil based primer before re-coating with latex or you will probably have the same peeling prblem all over again. And for best results go to a pro paint store to buy your paints and products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: