Removing multiple layers of paint from woodwork

Old 10-05-00, 06:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a 1908 condo with wood moldings around every door and window and while there's no way I'm stripping down to bare wood, I am trying to repaint as the former owner's didn't do it right (painted over all the brass hinges, etc.) Some have just one coat directly over the wood (no primer) and it's chipping off. Some have 5 and 6 coats, some oil, some latex. Where the wood is chipped, I've been able to sand and feather it back so I can repaint them; but where there's multiple layers, if I just paint over them, it's just adding another layer and filling in more of the groves on the molding and thus taking away it's look. I've also tried a stripper, what a mess that makes. Isn't there any other method! Thanks!!

Old 10-05-00, 08:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Spinster:

My advice would be to get a cheap heat gun that you can find a concentrating nozzle to fit on it as an accessory AND one of Sandvik's paint scrapers with the replaceable tungsten carbide blades.

Heat is a fast easy way of softening up paint, and a concentrator nozzle gives you much more precise control over where the heat is and where it isn't. The all metal head Sandvik scrapers are the only ones suitable for this because the plastic ones will just start to melt on you. Also, the blade on the Sandvik sticks out about 1/8" past the side of the tool, and this is great for getting the paint out of corners and grooves.

Removing paint with a heat gun and scraper is fairly easy. The paint will come off in hot soft pieces that turn hard and brittle again when they cool, and that makes them suitable for vaccuuming up. Pull the battery out of your smoke detector while doing this work or you'll get a scare if and when it goes off.

Old 10-07-00, 11:44 AM
Visiting Guest
If you are going to repaint the surface I would suggest PEEL AWAY I. If you are going to re finsih natural use PEEL AWAY 7. Both product will remove the paint in one application for you. You also might be dealing with lead paint and chemical removal is the safest method for doing that job.

Old 10-07-00, 08:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Hy is correct. Use PEEL AWAY. The heat gun will give you toxic fumes, fire risk increase of 100%, and possible wood damage....the choice is clear.

Old 10-09-00, 06:12 AM
Visiting Guest
How does PEEL AWAY work? Is it like a stripper? Does Home Depot have it? All I found in the paint remover section, was paint remover.

Thanks for all the help. I did borrow a heat gun and that was amazing; but now I am curious about the PEEL AWAY as I'm still not done with the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: