Painting over oil-based paint

Old 10-05-00, 05:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I want to repaint the wooden cabinets in my kitchen. The current paint job is peeling off in large sheets, revealing an earlier, darker layer beneath. It has been suggested that this darker layer may have been an oil-based paint, causing the apparently latex top layer to pull away. What do I need to do to prepare the surface for repainting? I want to use a semi-gloss latex.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-00, 06:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I'm in the middle of sripping my kitchen cabinets myself but I'm going to be staining them.It sounds like you'll have to strip yours too otherwise anything you put on top will just peel off with the paint underneath.If I were you I would re-post your question in the furniture refinishing forum George is the forum moderator and is very helpful.

Old 10-05-00, 01:58 PM
Visiting Guest
bcruthir, You do need to remove the latex that is over the oil if that is indeed what is there and it sounds like it is. Prime the cabinets with an oil based primer, sand with 220 and topcoat with paint of your choice.....Mike

Old 10-12-00, 07:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. How best to remove the overlying latex? Scraping? Sanding? Paint strippers? (I have a fair number of cabinets.) And what about areas where the latex seems to not be peeling?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: