Removing epoxy paint

Old 10-08-00, 04:57 PM
Visiting Guest
As I was tired of the color of my 20 year old kitchen tile, I painted it using the epoxy paint that was recommended by a salesclerk at the store. After all that time and energy, I don't like it and would like to remove it without damaging the shiny surface of my tile. I would like to replace the old tile, but it's too costly. Is there a product that will easily remove the epoxy paint? My tile is the old white with green specks that was popular back in the 60's and 70's. Is there any way of changing only the green specks in the tile to white?
Thank you,
Terri

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-00, 05:43 PM
Visiting Guest
TMV, Uh Oh....I believe you have painted yourself into a proverbial corner. I know of nothing that will remove the epoxy without possibly damaging the tile.....Mike

Old 10-08-00, 10:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree with Mike on this one. Epoxy paint is what it says... permanent. There isn't any solvent I know that will cut the chemical bonds established in an "epoxy" relationship.

Try a razor to scrape it off. Failing that, then the alternative is to take down the existing tile, paint and all.

Old 10-09-00, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
I'd like to offer another alternative. Paint it again with an aliphatic acrylic urethane—a very high gloss finish that looks great on tile. Coronado and Pittsburgh both make it, and the recommended primer is…….(drum roll please)…..epoxy! I’ve applied it with a HVLP rig and was most pleased with the results. I am told that you can also spray or roll it on. Just make sure to prep the surface properly.

Old 10-12-00, 05:28 PM
Visiting Guest
There are lots of products on the market that will remove epoxy coatings. I w ould suggest you use PEEL AWAY 7 which will do the jobb for you and will not damage the tiles. Do a small test area so you can determine the dwell time that you have to leave it on. I would gues it would be an overnight situation for you

Old 10-12-00, 05:39 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree with hy. Part of me would still want to try out the other method of scraping with a razor blade. (Let's hope this is a job paid for by an hourly rate.)