How to paint over interior (oil?) semigloss?

Old 11-12-00, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a house that, I believe, was renovated in the 1970's. The interior walls are plaster covered by some type of paper (not wall paper)then textured and painted with oil(?)semi-gloss. We want to repaint with latex (flat type). How do we prep the walls?

Do we have to sand (and if so how much)? Can we just use liquid stripper (like they sell at Home Depot)? Do we have to prime and if so, should we use an oil based or latex base primer? I would like to do a quality job and avoid future problems. Thanks.

Old 11-12-00, 09:31 PM
Visiting Guest
First find out if it is indeed oil based, you can do this by getting a small container of goof-off from most paint stores. Test with a rag and goof-off in a hidden area, if it doesn't affect the paint then it is oil, if it starts to remove it, then it is latex.

If it is oil, then priming with an oil primer will allow you to paint over with latex, if it is latex then you can simply paint over with latex. Be sure to clean the surface prior to painting or priming.

You mentioned this is a house from the 70's, you may want to read this about lead paint before you begin http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/lead/ , you may also want to check on a testing kit as well http://www.homestoreproducts.com/

Old 11-13-00, 09:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the suggestions. One more question however, does the semi-gloss aspect of the current paint offer any problems? Do I have to sand it or use gloss stripper as I have been told or can I just use the oil primer you suggest?

Thanks

Old 11-14-00, 07:08 AM
Visiting Guest
If it is an existing latex, I wouldn't worry with sanding, just clean well and topcoat with a quality latex, if it is oil (which most walls are not) and you are wanting to go back to latex, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wipe with liquid sander prior to re-priming, just to be safe. Lightly sanding with a 220 can also help adhesion on un-textured walls, sanding with paper may damage the texture if they are textured.

Chip

P.S. Liquid sander/de-glosser I think is what you ment, do not use stripper. If you are unable to test it for oil or latex and are going to just prime and paint, the liquid sander won't damage it if it is latex and would be a good idea prior to priming to be safe

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited November 14, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: