Paint & Lacquer removal

Old 11-12-00, 05:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Just bought a 72 year old house. I have many doors and windows that need to be stripped. The doors have alot of detail work. I have used a paint stripper but, the paint gets rubbery and smears. The lacquer comes up after sanding, sanding and sanding more and I'm having trouble getting in the detail. I have sanded and stripped until I can hardly breathe ( I have asthma ) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-12-00, 06:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Use a stripper with methylene chloride, it's nasty but it works. Use a good respirator ( $60.00 ) chemical gloves and tape off all outlets. Apply the stripper with a brush and remove with coarse steel wool- you'll need a lot of it. Your next problem is disposal of all toxic waste. It's an awful job to get into, maybe hire a pro?

Old 11-12-00, 06:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Dear SUEANN , last week I went to shoop-paint ( duron store) and I saw a product that remove many paint coats in just one aplication, also is odorless and faster, good look.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by SueAnn:
Just bought a 72 year old house. I have many doors and windows that need to be stripped. The doors have alot of detail work. I have used a paint stripper but, the paint gets rubbery and smears. The lacquer comes up after sanding, sanding and sanding more and I'm having trouble getting in the detail. I have sanded and stripped until I can hardly breathe ( I have asthma ) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<HR>

Old 11-12-00, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Removing and stripping paint is a messy job, but if you want to re-stain or want premium paint results, then you don't have too much choice. In the small detail you could use things like wooden shish-ka-bob sticks, 5 in 0ne's purchased at paint stores come in handy, different size plastic putty knifes.

As far as the fumes, I believe Peel-Away is less fumey, and like JDX stated always use protective gear, expecially with asthma.

I am sorry if you were looking for a quik-fix to this, I have none. You could always take JDX's advise and hire a pro.

Use the stripper on the lacquer as well (read the stripper label to make sure), it will be gummy, but you can use a wide plastic putty knife to remove, useing pieces of cardboard to wipe the knife on, this will help cut back on all that sanding.

BIX stripper come with spray bottles for easy application, it is fumey and very irritating however.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 11-19-00, 03:05 PM
Visiting Guest
The product you want to use is PEEL AWAY 7 and it will do a good job for you and it is one of many safe removers that are now available. I would certainly not suggest you use methylene chloride.

Old 11-19-00, 06:13 PM
Visiting Guest
PA #7 is still caustic and should be used as such. The non-meth strippers are slow and will still stink you out of the building twice as long.Most don't work. Tough choice ( ? )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: