Painting paneling

Old 11-05-00, 11:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Is there anything special that I need to do before painting over paneling other than clean it well? It is really dark and just not in style and I can't afford to tear out and put in wallboard. Help!

Old 11-07-00, 06:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

you have to prime it with a primer such as kilz. It is not an easy task. I am doing it nowe and wish i had left my paneling alone. Unless it is just horrible, I would leavle it alone.But I filled in the paneling with spackling, sanded, primed and am not trying to figure out what I want to do next

[This message has been edited by cwhitfieldrn (edited November 07, 2000).]

Old 11-20-00, 07:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

IF YOU DONT MIND THE GROOVES IN THE PANELS, AND YOU DONT MIND THE SMELL, GO WITH THE PRIMER AS SUGGESTED AND THEN PAINT. MY MOTHER HAS A CARPORT THAT WAS CLOSED IN AROUND 1970. ONE WALL WAS BRICK AND THE OTHERS WERE AVACADO GREEN PANELS. THE WHOLE ROOM WAS PAINTED OFF-WHITE/HIGH GLOSS(INCLUDING THE RED BRICK) AND IT LOOKS WONDERFUL. MUCH BRIGHTER AND CLEAN.

Old 11-20-00, 04:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Lu Lu, I just answered your post , it seems you already know what to do, but here it is again anyway, for Kchnbckr@aol.com:

You will need to prep and prime the paneling. Clean any dirt and grease from paneling. Lightly sand the paneling with a 220 grit sandpaper (not too much, just to ruff the surface a little), wipe off dust, putty any holes, prime with an oil primer like kilz,

(cwhitfieldrn, here's where you are)

Sand lighlty again just for smoothness, don't sand through primer, wipe off dust and caulk the seams and trim with a latex or acrylic PAINTABLE caulk wipeing smooth with a wet finger and useing a wet rag to clean off excess. Paint 2 coats with your choice of quality paint, I would suggest going to a pro paint store for your paint and materials.

Yes it is a big step painting your paneling, good advise cwhitfieldrn, make sure it is what you want to do because once it is painted, its painted. Filling the grooves is an extra step some people are willing to take, but if you are not careful you can make it look worse than leaving the grooves. Useing joint compound with a 6" tapeing knife, filling the grooves and wipeing clean, leaving compound ONLY in the grooves, none on the surface, repeat when dry, if it is still dipped in at the grooves, a third application may be nesasary, mud shrinks. Sand smooth. That is how I do it, Do this before priming.

Hope this helps, if not post back.

Old 11-24-00, 08:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

You have had lots of help,,,but here is more and some pictures too! http://www.decoratingplus.com./page_two.htm#Paneling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: