Floetrol

Old 02-23-05, 10:58 AM
pushylady
Visiting Guest
Question Floetrol

Hi!
I'm thinking about using Floetrol to help me out with painting. I've read about it here before. I was wondering if I can add it to primer (water based) to slow the dry time a bit and help get a smoother coat?
When using it with paint, do you have to add it twice? E.g. once the first day then again the on the next day for the finish coat?
Thanks for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-05, 12:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't use it with the primer. Quality primers will give ou a smooth coat anyway. Unless using a sprayer, no need to thin the paint.

Old 02-23-05, 03:50 PM
Don't mix it with primer, it won't much good for you.
If you do use it in the finish paint, don't re-add more on the second day, just mix/stir the paint up real well.

Old 02-24-05, 08:19 PM
A
The 100% acrylic primers seem to go on pretty smooth. I have used floetrol extensively with BM Regal. Often I can get a finish on molding that looks like it was sprayed (I use it on both finish coats).

The first time I used Regal without floetrol on a door casing I was dissapointed by the brushmarks even knowing the correct painting sequence and working quickly.

The disadvantages of using floetrol are -

Paint goes on much thinner so 2 coats min are required and even then it doesn't "build" like unthinned paint.

Paint seems more suceptable to damage.

You have to inspect your work for 5 mins or so afterwards to catch drips.

Despite these problems for me it is worth it. I would practice painting with the floetrol. The instructions they give are impractical IMO. I put some paint in a small bucket and slowly add floetrol until paint dripping off the brush "feels right". This is why I suggest practicing on some scrap wood first to see what works best for you. You have to learn how to "tip off" and brush into wet paint.

When I want very high quality, I use an oil based high build primer that is very sandable. Only the high end paint stores carry these and I would be reluctant to use these over multple layers of latex (talk to your dealer). It's probably impractical for a occupied house however since it creates clouds of sanding dust.

Good luck