Had sand paint on walls, now using regular paint, can't hide some lap marks

Old 02-26-05, 08:16 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Had sand paint on walls, now using regular paint, can't hide some lap marks

I don't get it. A few years ago, the Sherwin Williams "Sand Stones" paint was applied to the walls. Now, we're changing the paint color by applying straight Sherwin Williams paint now to the walls. For the life of me, I can't get the lap marks to go away in the new paint. Why?

Is it because of the sand stone paint? I've painted before and never run into this issue before. The regular paint we're using now is their "Ever Clean"

Any ideas on why I can't get the lap marks to go away? I used a regular 1/2" nap roller and a 1/2" sheep skin and the same results with both.

Old 02-27-05, 06:55 AM
sun1974
Visiting Guest
use matte finish

Hi:

I also ran into a similar problem (actually , i lost my sleep because of that)..
I had used Behr Sandwash finish, and after 2 coats, the wall looked really ugly..

I went back to HD and spoke to the rep..They suggested me to pick the matte finish (flat), and do 2 coats, with a 1/4" nap.. The resuts were excellent...No lap marks...

Hope it helps...

Old 02-27-05, 09:53 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
After my second coat of regular paint over the sand paint dried, it looks better, but you can see some lap marks if you look at it from the right angle.

The next time I run into sand paint, I'm just tearing off the drywall and re-doing it. I'm fed up with this mumble jumble.

Old 02-27-05, 02:51 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What color are you using, Mike? Darker colors are difficult on a smooth wall. Don't roll it out so much, either.

Sun - even Behr should look good after 4 coats. Next time, buy paint from a paint store and save some headache.

Old 02-27-05, 06:51 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Kilm Beige. "Sherwin Williams" It's a light brown earth tone. There was a middle green color which was the sand paint. I didn't prime the sand paint. I just painted over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: