Preparing wood work with stain for paint

Old 03-08-05, 05:47 AM
fhodsoll
Visiting Guest
Preparing wood work with stain for paint

I want advice on the best stain remover or other method for prepping woodwork with stain to be primed and painted. I have removed the old paint (heat gun) and it appears that the first time paint was applied it was painted directly over the stain (old house).

FYI although the wood is gorgeous and I wish I could go with a natural wood look, we had some of the wood molding replaced with paint grade wood so we are too far down the road. (As part of a remodelling we were not able to save all the original wood work.)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 07:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wording of your post suggests that the woodwork did not have any sort of finish on it over the stain such as a varnish.Ultimately if it did this would impact preperation for paint more than priming.So if the woodwork does not have a varnish or simular finish on it then you need to use a good primer over it before painting.It would probably be a good idea to use a stain blocker and use oil base versus latex.If the woodwork does have a finish on it then you'll need to lightly sand it then wipe it down with a tack cloth before using the primer.Also a bonding primer wouldn't be a bad idea over varnish.In all cases the surfaces should be cleaned well so that they are free of dirt,grease etc.If you are unsure or can't tell if a finish was applied to the woodwork before painting then assume it was as you won't be causing any problems to do those steps on a surface with no finish.