paint sprayer on custom-textured walls

Old 03-11-05, 07:00 AM
S
Salroma
Visiting Guest
paint sprayer on custom-textured walls

The walls in my 1928 Spanish-style house are textured with hand-done gentle -- well, think of a bowl of pudding; if you took the back of a spoon and moved it just barely over the top of it, it would make a pattern that had shallow grooves and valleys -- that's what my walls look like. (It's prettier than I'm describing!)
I'd like to do our priming/painting myself, but of course want to maintain the surface. I'm considering using a good-quality paint sprayer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-05, 05:58 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior or exterior?

Old 03-11-05, 07:20 PM
J
If your question is would it be better to spray? that would be hard to say. The texture you're describing can easily rolled with a 3/4 or 1&1/4" nap roller head. Rough textures tend to trap dirt so blow and broom the surfaces. I use an airless unless the quantity is less than 1 gal. or the taping is far too intricate. But there is a lot to learn to make spraying more efficient.

Old 03-11-05, 07:54 PM
Yeah an air compressor to blow off all of the dust and a soft bristle broom or duster to make sure the surface is completely free of all dirt & debris. Airless would definitely be the way to go if you're going to do the whole house. (They can be rented for a daily fee.) Or you can get by with a noisy wagner power shot electric sprayer for just small jobs they're pretty handy, & relatively cheap, under $100. Good luck.

Old 03-16-05, 08:53 AM
S
Salroma
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the answers/suggestions. I am talking about the entire interior of the house, which includes in one area a 10' ceiling. The previous owners painted everything with high gloss, oil-based (I think) white. (gotta get some color here!) I'm taking a sample of the wall to the paint store to figure out the best primer to use.

Drywallers are just finishing up, so that fine dust is everywhere. Sounds like the air compressor/duster combo is a great way to go to prep it all. And renting an airless for the job.

So I can do the primer apply the primer as well as the paint with the airless? Any suggetions/warnings on use, beyond practicing before using for correct pressure/even application etc?

Old 03-22-05, 07:41 PM
J
IF the sheetrock guys are leaving dust behind you should vacuum that first as it will get everywhere if you blow it first. You can use the blower from the vacuum (I use a wet/dry) to loosen normal house dust and dirt. The airless will spray primer just fine. I never mix oil and water through my airless though, ( I have more than 1 airless) as it makes a total mess. Use 123 primer (waterbase) then paint your finish coat. Tsp the whole place if its semigloss now, to clean and cut the gloss, and or, scuff sand with 100g.