Painting porch exterior.

Old 03-15-05, 12:35 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting porch exterior.

I usually use a porch paint on my concrete porch to finish it. However the paint strips after 2 years. This year I stripped off the paint with paint stripper thinking I would finish it with a good finishing thin cement to leave it natural. When I looked at the concrete surface though it is very good so I decided against putting another coat of concrete on it. I want to paint it again. What is the best patio paint to use and is there a primer to use first to seal it properly.

Old 03-15-05, 09:19 PM
P
Its tough getting a finish to last on a concrete porch surface. Salt dirt and foot traffic will wear it down quickly. Concrete stain is about all that will last. Powerwash the concrete really well to remove as much dirt , grease etc. Give it a couple of days to dry out. Use a masonry primer next ... two coats . I like to next put two coats of a High quality acrylic topcoat in semigloss as the dirt etc will be easier to hose off .

Old 03-16-05, 06:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
H&C makes a good concrete stain. You can go with one or more coats depending on the look you want. It is xylene based so the odor is pretty strong.

Last edited by marksr; 03-16-05 at 06:48 PM. Reason: mis spelled
Old 03-17-05, 07:13 PM
B
Don't skimp on the pressure doing the pressure wash.
You may want to etch it with muriatic acid before painting. Make sure all the acid is washed off. Then apply an epoxy paint.

Or do as the other suggest and stain it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: