prepping basement brick wall for paint

Old 03-15-05, 03:47 PM
brickhaus
Visiting Guest
prepping basement brick wall for paint

Hi, I do not have a moisture problem on the walls I want to paint, vs. drywall. Do I use a primer (is there one for masonry?) or should I absolutely use dry lok? It sounds like a drag to apply. Also, who knows about the so called radon barriers you can buy to paint the concrete floor with? Are these products helpful and even necessary, if I install an exterior wall fan as a precaution? I did not have a radon reading to speak of but have just recently dug out the dirt floor, preparing to pour a new concrete one. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-05, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Definately use the drylok first. Its applied just like normal paint. You can paint over the drylok after its applied or it comes in four tinted colors/ You could use a masonry primer and then paint but be it the chance you might have a a water problem in the future you will always have that protection on the wall. Drylok isnt intended to be painted over a painted surface but rather bare cement. Sometimes a change in landscaping or small foundation cracks can create moisture problems in the future. Latex Drylok it first.

Old 03-16-05, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I agree use dryloc then top coat with what ever paint you want. Don't forget to touch up any cracks or defects in the block first. Before you pour new concrete be sure to lay down a vapor barrior first.