Semi-Gloss paint in bathroom is coming off when I peel the tape! HELP!

Old 03-20-05, 04:26 PM
Kimryan
Visiting Guest
Question Semi-Gloss paint in bathroom is coming off when I peel the tape! HELP!

Here is the situation, there was yucky spongepaint in our bathroom when we moved in, so I wanted to cover it. I purchased Dutch Boy Kitchen & Bath paint in semi-gloss. I was stubborn and didn't listen to my husband and prime first. I painted 3 coats over the sponge paint and it wasn't covering it. I decided to put primer on the next day. The 2 coats over the primer look beautiful, however, when I pulled off the painters tape (paint just dried), it is taking some of the paint with it, and the paint was stretchy. It has taken off pieces near the trim leaving the sponge paint behind. I have drywall, and I don't know what to do! Should I try to sand it down when it dries and touch up? Can someone help me??? Thanks! Kim

Old 03-20-05, 05:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 862 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Sounds like you got yourself in to a real mess. Latex semi gloss will stretch but is more forgiving than oil which dries hard and brittle. With that much paint on the wall I don't know if you will ever get back to square one. You may be able to patch the bad spots and hope for the best. Good luck and remember the hardest lessions are the ones most remembered.

Old 03-20-05, 07:31 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
You should have roughed up the surface before applying any new primer or paint. The primed and painted.

Once you rough up the surface, you need to wipe it all down with a damp cloth, so it removes the dust

Old 03-21-05, 05:33 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK - you learned the lesson about primers.
Now you are learning a lesson about taping.
Consider all the time and extra effort to be tuition.

First mistake on taping was using tape. With a quality brush and quality paint and a little practice, you do not need tape.
Second mistake was waiting for the paint to dry before removing the paint. The tape needs to be removed after EACH coat and before that coat cures. ie) remove the tape that same day.

At this point, give the paint a week or two to dry. Sand the spots and wipe the dust off. Prime those areas so the spackle/mud will stick. Apply some spackle or drywall mud and smooth it out. When that is dry, sand it. Wipe off the dust and prime those spots again. Now touch up with the paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: