Removing Sand Texture Paint from Drywall

Old 03-21-05, 09:07 AM
wofat
Visiting Guest
Removing Sand Texture Paint from Drywall

We've just purchased our first home and have been in for about a month. One of our first projects is to repaint the area we have designated as an office. This room has a dark green finish that has been done with the sand texture paint. Is there anyway to remove this stuff so we can have a nice, smooth matte finish?

The walls feel like sandpaper and I am not sure whether sanding will take it off. Through some searching I saw someone recommend spraying with warm water and scraping, but I don't know if that will work or not. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-05, 09:18 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I went through pretty much the exact same thing you're about to attempt. Besure to read ALL of the thread and see what happened tome. I was also using very good paint too.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=202904

Yes, if you take a piece of sand paper and put it on a block, it will smooth out the surface, but you need to decide if it's even worth it. I decided not to sand it all out and was also left with lap marks too. If it were my home, I would have torn off the drywall and re did it all.

The new paint doesn't want to adhere properly, nor evenly. After about the 3rd coat, it started to look better, but still was noticable in certain views of lighting.

Old 03-21-05, 09:40 AM
wofat
Visiting Guest
So, you're saying there is really no way to get this stuff off?? I would hate to re-drywall, as it will be a PITA. Room has a textured ceiling, and the home is nearly brand new, so I would hate to be tearing drywall out right off the bat.

Additionally, there is another room we plan on redoing with the same issue. Ugh...

Old 03-21-05, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this the pre-made texture like 'river rock' or something from Ralph Lauren?
Or is it just sand added to paint?

Try using a stiff 6" putty knife, and dry scraping it. Then run a coarse sanding screen on a pole over it. This will sometimes take care of it.

Old 03-21-05, 04:07 PM
S
Yeah you should try a few things in a small area before getting discouraged
Like PWG says start with a big putty knife and scrape it to see what happens
It might be just a day of scraping, sanding, and a little skiming of joint compound and it's good to go
A pain, but far less hassle then new drywall
It's tough to say over the internet, w/o actually seeing it
It depends on what it actually is

Old 03-21-05, 04:12 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Her ceiling has ceiling texture to it also. I don't know if it was in the paint or something they trawled on. What a pain in it made it to cut in the corners.

I honestly just left it. I used Sherwin Williams "Duration Home" paint and it did take the sand "look" a bit away, but not totally. It wasn't nearly as noticable. I then painted the bathroom with regular walls with Duration Home and that paint is excellent. I had to use just a straight purdy brush in certain areas and couldn't see hardly any brush marks at all. I used a sheep skin roller from S.W. also. Not just a regular roller

I highly recommend their paint.

You might want to prime the walls first with Kilz. I wasn't thrilled with S.W. Primer at all. To me, it was too milky and thin

Old 03-22-05, 05:22 AM
wofat
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure of the exact paint used, but it appears to be a fairly fine sand, like a 120 grit, and most likely purchased at Home Depot. We're going to try scraping and sanding as suggested tonight and we'll see how it goes.

Stupid question, but this newer stuff doesn't contain asbestos, right? I keep seeing it coming up in my searches.

Also, I have seen a couple of recommendations for paint. That "Duration Home" is a Sherwin Williams paint, correct? Is that what everybody recommends or are there other paints that would be better? Also, about how much do these 'top quality' paints run per gallon?

Sorry so many questions, but I am rather new to all this. Thanks!

Old 03-22-05, 05:48 AM
S
Originally Posted by wofat
Stupid question, but this newer stuff doesn't contain asbestos, right? I keep seeing it coming up in my searches.
Nope you're fine
I had the same...concerns when doing one of these texture removal projects
It's a good thing to ask...before you start!