Best paint for a dresser

Old 03-21-05, 12:47 PM
WeekendDIY'er
Visiting Guest
Best paint for a dresser

My wife wants to restore a small old dresser which has been in teh family for years. It is veneered and had a light laquer'ish finish. I've sanded down to the veneer and then fine sanded for a smoother finish. Our initial intent was to use the water based semi-gloss latex white paint we have been usuing for trim around the house to paint the dresser. Given this, we primed with water base Zinsser primer.

My concern, however, is that a water based semi-gloss latex will not be durable enough for a dresser and that, being water based, it may wash off when we clean the dresser.

Can I use a water based semi-gloss for this? Or should i use and oil based/ enamel paint? If oil/ enamel, can I use this over a water based primer?

Sorry for the long winded explanation. I just want to be sure.

Old 03-21-05, 03:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Look into using Sherwin Williams Pro-Classic Waterborne trim paint, or Benjamin Moore's Waterborne Satin Impervo. Both are water based, yet dry to a hard, oil-like finish.

Old 03-21-05, 04:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 857 Upvotes on 749 Posts
Listen to prowallguy. SWP pro classic waterborne is the best enamel I have ever used. It dries as hard as oil base, very durable, does not yellow like oilbase nor have the strong odor. All enamels are fairly washable but the cheaper latex enamels tend to chip and scar easy.

Old 03-22-05, 06:51 AM
WeekendDIY'er
Visiting Guest
Thank you Prowallguy and Marksr. I'll try the Sherwin Williams.

It's great to have resources such as yourselves!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: