Tinting primer questions

Old 03-23-05, 11:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tinting primer questions

I have a large amount of Zinnser's oil base primer that is white, left over from a project. I now want to paint a table black and it needs priming first. Rather than buying more primer tinted dark, is it possible I can tint what I already have by adding something to it? If so, what would you suggest? The only thing I can think of is using artist's oil paint in black, or would I only wind up with a lt. grey? What about black oil base paint?

Thanks

Old 03-23-05, 03:40 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You probably won't be able to tint it fully black, as its most likely a white or pastel base, and won't be able to hold all the tint needed to darken it up. You might be able to take it where it was bought, and have them shoot some black in it, but you will end up with a gray tone. That is better than white under black though. Or just buy a quart of black primer.

Old 03-24-05, 08:40 AM
J
You can buy toner that tints latex or oil base in pints at most true paint stores. Lamp black is (pure black-about $6) what you want. It will become grey when mixed with white. Using primer is superior to putting black oil base paint. There is a limit to how much toner can be added to your finish coat so don't try to make it black by adding too much.

Old 03-26-05, 01:33 AM
S
The maximum amount of tint you can apply to that product is 2 ounces per gallon.You will end up with a grey tone.I suggest taking it to where you got it,have them add tine and shake the paint rather than you buying universal paint colorant and trying to stir it in yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: