exterior house painting

Old 03-31-05, 01:36 PM
dftodd
Visiting Guest
exterior house painting

Hello , I am new to this site can anyone help me with some painting questions. I am getting ready to paint exterior of home. The house has never been painted before, the exterior is cement asbestos shingles. I need help with the correct way to prep, what type of paint would be best & will the paint harm the metal the shingles attach to. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
dftodd

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 07:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
First you need to clean the surface well. Probably use TSP although you may get good results with laundry detergent. Then prime with a good primer like loxon and finish with good quality latex. I'm not sure I understand about the metal the shingles are attached to.

Old 04-01-05, 08:52 AM
dftodd
Visiting Guest
exterior painting

Each row of shingles are supported underneath by a metal ridge which runs the entire length of the row. The metal appears to be aluminum, I was concerned the paint could have some type of reaction that could cause a rusting appearence. I know aluminum is not supposed to rust, and want to avoid future problems . Thanks for the advice.
dftodd

Old 04-01-05, 07:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would put tsp on then power wash it off (not too much pressure). This will give a nice clean surface. Any mildew clean with a bleach and dish soap solution (h20 75%,bleach 25%,dish soap-squirt). Add Flood's "emulsabond" to your latex finish coat to paint and prime in 1 step. This gives you some of the advantages of oil (emulsafied oil),which is better penetration and grip. If the metal is steel and exposed, the waterbased products may start it rusting.

Old 04-01-05, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Word of caution on mixing dish detergent and bleach. Most of the new formulas have a warning that says not to mix with chlorine. They may have an ammonia base or content. If you can find one, the older style of non-ultra detergent may not have the warning and ammonia content.
Good luck with your project.

Old 04-02-05, 08:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
If the metal is alum, latex will do well, if it is steel use an oilbase primer on the metal first.