Elastomeric Paint

Old 03-31-05, 11:36 PM
Elastomeric Paint

Does anyone know anything about elastomeric paint? It was suggested that I use this when painting the outside of my house and that it would last significantly longer than "ordinary" exterior paint. Is this true? I have never heard of this type of paint before.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Elastomeric paint is a very good paint however its main purpose is to prevent water penatration. It is normaly used on masonary surfaces to prevent water from entering the surface. [not to be confused with drylock - elastomeric keeps mosture from out on the exterior and can't be used in basements] If your only concern is quality and long life use a good grade of paint but if moisture penatration is an issue then consider elastromeric.

Old 04-01-05, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
Elastomeric paint is a very good paint however its main purpose is to prevent water penatration. It is normaly used on masonary surfaces to prevent water from entering the surface. [not to be confused with drylock - elastomeric keeps mosture from out on the exterior and can't be used in basements] If your only concern is quality and long life use a good grade of paint but if moisture penatration is an issue then consider elastromeric.
Thanks for the help - the house is stucco, so maybe it would help with the little cracks that stucco inevitably has? I don't have a problem with water intrusion. I am mostly just looking for a very high quality, long lasting paint - the cost isn't a factor.

Old 04-01-05, 06:35 PM
I am mostly just looking for a very high quality, long lasting paint - the cost isn't a factor.
2 coats Sherwin Williams Duration.

Old 04-01-05, 06:52 PM
One thing to consider with elastomeric is- because it is much more elastic than latex, you will have to always use elastomeric in the future or sufer cracking and splitting. It is considered to last twice as long as latex. I like the ability to change colors and every 7-10yrs is fine with me (avg. latex life). A paint job done really well might go 30 yrs. I think stucco is a great substrate for a long lasting latex job as it doesnt crack, expand and crontract like T111 siding. Large structural cracks do form and I use elastomeric caulk to fill them. With a little caulking and touch up your paint job will last a long time.

Old 04-02-05, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the tips - I really appreciate the help.