Paint finish

Old 04-13-05, 03:34 AM
mattnjen
Visiting Guest
Paint finish

I am preparing to paint my living room (walls and ceiling.) I have extra ceiling paint left over from painting a couple of months ago. I have enough flat ceiling paint to do the walls and ceiling. The walls are textured. Is it okay to use a flat finish on the walls? I always hear to use satin, but just wondered if it really makes that much difference. Thanks!

Old 04-13-05, 04:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It is definitely OK to use flat on your walls, even if they are textured.

But DO NOT use ceiling paint. It is not fomulated with the durability that flat wall paint has, and will be impossible to t/u or wipe down if needed.

Old 04-13-05, 06:51 AM
Carpenters Wife
Visiting Guest
Smile Flat Paint

Just a thought... If you have any kids, (or plan to)...you might get a paint that is washable. We bought our house and ALL the walls were painted with flat paint. It looked beautiful. However, flat paint, two kids, one dog, a cat just doesn't mix well. I have little hand prints about 3 feet above the floor on every wall, and scrubbing doesn't take it off. We are in the process of re-painting the inside of the house. Good Luck.

Old 04-13-05, 07:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As PWG said ceiling paint is not as durable as wall paint, also some brands don't cover as well. Satin is good because of washability. There are flat paints out there that will scrub as good as enamels but they have a price that goes with them too. Also the better grade of paint you use the longer you can go between painting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: