satin over shiney?

Old 04-13-05, 10:58 AM
shewood
Visiting Guest
satin over shiney?

I want to paint a room with light colored satin paint; the current surface is just slightly darker, but has a fairly shiney surface; I suspect it is semigloss (former owner had a small child in this bedroom). Will I need to paint with a primer first? Any special primer? (I already have some Kilz). Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
As long as it is latex going over latex you will be fine. You would only need the kilz if what is on the wall now is oil base and you are recoating with latex. When changing color over enamel it may take an extra coat or a little more care than normal.

Old 04-13-05, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you use kilz you will have to sand the room. It is not really for glossy surfaces. Deglossers,frequently suggested here, are not reccomended to be used when applying kilz[on the can and on the website]. Zinsser bullseye 123 is a better option.Have it tinted toward your finish color. Just clean the walls, prime and paint. If you have any "garbage " in the existing paint sand it out. Go to the depot for the bullseye they will definitely tint it for free there, or else call the paint store and make sure they will tint for free.

You could also just clean it and sand it thoroughly before repainting, but the bullseye will take care of any conflicts with different types of paint.

Old 04-13-05, 12:23 PM
shewood
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for this advice..... I did a test patch, just painting over what's there..... seems to adhere well, but I see a little shine poking through, so looks like 2 coats will be the answer. Thanks again!

Old 04-13-05, 02:40 PM
I would at least run a sanding pole over the walls to break the shine a little.

Old 04-15-05, 08:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
[QUOTE=joneq]If you use kilz you will have to sand the room. It is not really for glossy surfaces. Deglossers,frequently suggested here, are not reccomended to be used when applying kilz[on the can and on the website].

This puzzled me so I e-mailed the manufacture. They said the reason they recomend against deglosser is because some use it incorrectly. If used properly, deglosser will make for a tighter bond with the old paint.

Old 04-15-05, 08:42 AM
I am just saying what is on the can and on their website. Curios as to what would cause somebody [diy'er not you] To call the manufacturer to verify what is on the can and website. There are no disclamers anywhere to be found. Zinsser has no such stipulations and requires no sanding or deglossing. I say go with the easiest thing. You like kilz. Much more work imo. What is the advantage to using kilz,saving a few dollars=no thanks.

here iswhat the website says.

To prime glossy surfaces:

KILZ Original or KILZ Odorless primers

For maximum adhesion, scuff sand, clean, rinse and dry glossy surfaces prior to applying KILZ primers. Liquid deglossers/cleaners should not be used in the preparation of glossy surfaces

What about that statement is unclear?????????

Last edited by joneq; 04-15-05 at 09:20 AM.