Drywall tape separating from ceiling

Old 04-14-05, 12:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drywall tape separating from ceiling

In my bathroom, the joint tape between the wall and ceiling is separating from the ceiling. The part that was adhered to the ceiling has somehow loosened, leaving a small but noticable gap. The ceiling is stipple, as is the tape that was part of the ceiling, so this flap has stipple on it.

This gap is about 1/32" when the room is cool and dry, but opens to 1/4" when it is hot and moist, like after a shower (we do use the vent, and it has good airflow). Edit: This flaw runs about 5 feet long.

The only suggestion I've received so far is to remove the offending tape, re-stipple to try to match, and then re-paint. Is there an alternative to this, maybe involving gluing this flap back up, shellacking it, and then painting? If so, what is a good glue to use?

Thanks.

-joe

Last edited by teddymines; 04-14-05 at 01:27 PM. Reason: forgot a detail on length of flaw
Old 04-14-05, 06:35 PM
J
I would try to get some good paintable caulk in there. I have a buddy who is a dentist and besides the free vinyl gloves I get there he has small plastic syringes that he sometimes uses to inject the moulding material into the moulds they put in your mouth to take impressions. They don't hold much but you don't need much. load some caulk in it and fill behind the paper. Put enough in so it oozes out wipe it with a clean sponge with just enough pressure to push it up where it belongs. If you get all the caulk that oozes out you may get away without repainting. I am sure there are other ways of getting the stuff in there but this is what I use---along with my gloves.

Old 04-15-05, 05:04 AM
Thanks. After this and after it dries, I was planning on painting the whole ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: