Paint/mold

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-03-05, 10:24 AM
diane0125
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Paint/mold

Is there any type of paint that will slow down the growth of mold. We have a rental property and for some reason the livingroom wall gets mold on it. We go in and clean it for our tenants but I would rather they not have to breath it at all. I was wondering if after we clean it with bleach and water if there is a product or paint we could use to slow down the growth. Diane
 
  #2  
Old 05-03-05, 11:53 AM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,615
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is mildewcide you can add to the paint,but you need to find out why you are getting the growth. Zinsser makes an exellent product. Go to zinsser.com and look for interior perma white. It can be tinted not dark though. Joneq thinks your wall cavity may be loaded with it. Joneq don't know though 'cause he ain't there. Maybe take out a chunk and have a look unless the cause can be found an easier way or is more obvious like too much humidity, unlikely on just one wall though. The best fix might be to completely replace the wall after you find and fix the cause of the mildew or mold.

PS if you decide to look inside the wall try not to have the tenants around. They may develop all sorts of breathing difficulties and major health probs. Even if they are your best friends try not to have them there.
 
  #3  
Old 05-03-05, 06:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,948
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
As joneq said you need to find the cause of the mildew. Could there be pipes sweating in that wall? Is it an exterior wall? [moisture could be finding it's way from outside]. Mildew needs moisture and heat to grow. A new coat of paint will slow down the return of the mold but the only sure cure is to stop the cause of it.
 
  #4  
Old 05-03-05, 07:24 PM
S
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Zinsser mold and midew resistant paint is pretty incredible
I think it's called Kitchen and Bath
I always keep a gallon or two on hand so I'll check on the name
Cleaning, (and killing, the mold/mildew) with X-14 or bleach and then painting with this stuff works great in a bathroom...

But you are getting it in a living room?

Unless your tenants run humidifiers and keep them at 70%+ (if they do they must stop it) it's not coming from moisture inside the room
So a mildecide and mildew resistant paint is just a band-aid...on the wrong side
You must find the source of the moisture
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: