Which type of primer for peeling wall?

Old 05-13-05, 10:38 AM
bmellis
Visiting Guest
Which type of primer for peeling wall?

Hi,

The walls in my in living room are 100+ years old plaster and are peeling. The peeling part has at least 2 different paints and I've estimated the layer underneath to be at least 40 year old oil lead-based paint. I've been able to peel away all loose paint and I'm in the process of patching plaster cracks. I need advice on what type of primer and paint to use to prevent it from peeling again and to keep the patched spots from showing through. I intend to do a very thorough job and do not mind using oil based products or anything else that takes more time. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-05, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would go with Zinsser's BIN. That should lock the old paint down.

Old 05-13-05, 08:27 PM
bmellis
Visiting Guest
Will that primer allow me to use a water based paint on old oil based paint? I have to make sure the new paint doesn't peel...

Old 05-14-05, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Most primers allow you to top coat with latex or oil. If everything is primed there should be no problem.

Old 05-14-05, 08:55 AM
Be aware that Bin has the consistency of water[difficult to apply imo]. and a very strong odor of alcohol . The fumes are flamable. I would use Bullseye 123 from zinsser it is water based and low odor and goes on like paint. I might spot prime the patched areas with some Bin in the spray can then topcoat everthing with the 123 tinted to match the finish coat. There are also other optons.

http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?CategoryID=1

Old 05-14-05, 07:39 PM
bmellis
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help guys, I hope I can get this looking good...

Old 05-15-05, 06:12 PM
Try ProBlock alkyd primer by Sherwin williams > I would use an oil base primer on a wall in that condition

Old 05-15-05, 07:11 PM
"I've been able to peel away all loose paint and I'm in the process of patching plaster cracks. I need advice on what type of primer and paint to use to prevent it from peeling again and to keep the patched spots from showing through."

The primer isn't going on untill the walls are fixed and in good condition. Zinsser Bullseye123 will stick tenaciously to clean glass. It does not peel and it seals the surface completely.Topcoats go on nice. Peeling was a major concern. I have never had a properly applied top coat peel off of the Bullseye and the Bullseye isn't going anywhere. It will also go over any existing paint[which was not defined] includung gloss with no extra work. Oil primer may require sanding or to put it another way more work.Bullseye reacts well with the alkali condition that plaster presents

Knowing all that and the extra work and cleanup involved with oil based products.I would go with the Bin or Bullseye spot prime.followed by the bullseye. However oil based primer will work well on a properly prepared surface.