Help! 2 coats of primer or 2 coats of paint?

Old 05-25-05, 10:08 AM
DebbieWoods
Visiting Guest
Help! 2 coats of primer or 2 coats of paint?

Hi,

I'm in the middle of painting some wood bunkbeds. I primed them, and had a lot of filling in cracks, holes, etc., to do as they are pine & were my son's. My primer ended up being really thin and there are darker white spots all over them where I filled in the cracks, etc. Then, on the first piece I primed, I used spray can primer and it turned out to be much thicker/whiter. I'm painting them pink now for my daughter. Should I prime the pieces again? If not, won't the white spots show up & the piece I primed with the spray can primer turn out to be a different color than the rest? I figured it would be cheaper to do two coats of primer and one coat of the paint, but wondered if there was some reason I shouldn't prime them twice verses put two coats of paint.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Apply 2 finish coats. This will eliminate any spots where the primer will show through if you missed it. Lightly sand in between coats.

Old 05-25-05, 12:29 PM
DebbieWoods
Visiting Guest
Thanks! One more question.

Thank you for your prompt answer. What grade of sandpaper do I use between coats of paint? I used 120 before I applied primer, but when I used that on the spots I filled in, it took the primer off revealing the wood.

Old 05-25-05, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220-240, just gently pass over the surface. This will take out any errant hairs or particles of dust. Gentle is the word. You won't be sanding it to smooth it, just scuff it.