Painting Stucco?

Old 06-05-05, 06:49 PM
72Blazerod
Visiting Guest
Painting Stucco?

The exterior of my house it partly wood siding and partly stucco. I would like to paint the wood and the stucco the same colour. The stucco looks like it has never been painted. What will I have to do to the stucco to have the paint adhere properly? One person at a paint store told me that if I used latex paint, I should give the stucco a fine spray of water before applying the paint. She told me this would save me from having to primer the stucco. Is this true? If so, how is it done? Any other suggestions? BTW, I will be using latex paint if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Rod

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New stucco should be lightly pressure washed to clean the surface first. I don't agree with the water for primer substitue. New stucco needs to be primed with a masonry primer such as Loxon Masonry primer by Sherwin williams. Followed by two topcoats of a good quality Latex.

Old 06-05-05, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree on the masonry primer, its a must in MHO.

Old 06-06-05, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I have worked for builders that insisted on 1 coat of paint on stucco. It can be done and will look ok but when primed the stucco will look better but most importantly the paint will last a LOT longer. The only time I have seen any benifit of wetting the stucco is when painting in the hot sun.