painting after wallpaper

Old 06-15-05, 11:16 AM
vguthrie
Visiting Guest
painting after wallpaper

We just bought our first house and i am in the process of removing the hideous wallpaper in the bathroom. The wall underneath the wallpaper was primed and underneath that it almost looks like the walls are plastic?? Anyhow in pealing off the wallpaper, some of the primer has scraped off in places, and is also peeling off like a thin coat of plastic. What do we need to do to prepare the walls to be smooth for new paint?? not sure if we can just re-primer over or not? not much of a handy women. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks Vanessa

Old 06-15-05, 03:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, I have never seen or heard of 'plastic' walls, unless its a modular or mobile home. Until the true substrate can be determined, I don't know what to tell you to do.
Sorry

Old 06-15-05, 05:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 856 Upvotes on 749 Posts
Could the 'thin plastic' be a layer of shiny paint?

Old 06-16-05, 11:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how are you removing the wallpaper? are you using a paper tiger and steam? or just a knife or scraper? are you sure the 'shiny paint' isn't another layer of wallpaper?

as marksr said, it could also be paint. In bathrooms it is/was very common to use glossy paints since they are easier to clean and tend to resist moisture better. if prep wasn't good underneath it is entirely possible that paint would peel off. that's what it did in my house.

-art-

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: