Can I paint the kitchen sink?

Old 06-20-05, 02:51 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I paint the kitchen sink?

The reason I want to do this is that I was going to buy a black acrylic kitchen sink and when I went to buy it found out that it's special order and would cost DOUBLE! Soooo, can't afford to get the black sink that I had my heart set on. I don't want white (wouldn't match, worried about staining) and I really don't want stainless steel if I can get away from it.

Wondering if I can use oil-based paint (for metal, with metal primer) to paint the sink before installation or would it just get scraped and nicked and chipped faster than I could say "what a waste of time"

Old 06-20-05, 06:12 AM
N
My initial answer would be save up and buy the black sink... but, if that's not an option there are a few things to do. This is just how I would do it, maybe not the best way. I would sand it down REALLY well and prime it with XIM clear. That is the best bonding primer I have found. I would then look around and try to find some black automotive paint. They used to put them up in aerosol cans, that is going to give you the hardest finish. If you can't find them, derusto puts up an appliance paint in an aerosol can... I'm not sure if they put them up in paintable, but i doubt it... it probably dries way to fast. Good luck

-billy

Old 06-20-05, 06:16 AM
J
you may get away having a bathroom sink peofessionally refinished ,but not a kitchen sink. Too much to worry about. It is tough stuff [reglazing] but not tough enough to treat as you normally would a kitchen sink. Any other typey of paint such as you suggested is out. Sorry. Check out that place that begins with an EEEE and ends with a Bay. you might get lucky.

Old 06-20-05, 02:54 PM
B
Yes, you can paint it. But, within 6 months, you'll hate yourself for doing so.
Unless, of course, you never ever use it.

Old 06-21-05, 02:34 AM
N
Okay, okay. That's what I thought.

I did check out ebay as well as the buy and sell and am now checking out places that have reno recycled items (ie cabinets, hardware, etc).

Ah, well. Guess if I can't get it now I can get a standard ss sink that the black will fit into down the road....

Thanks for all your feedback!

Old 06-25-05, 08:56 PM
scrapfanatic
Visiting Guest
We just installed a black granite composite sink in the kitchen--I love it! It was available at Expo (which is part of Home Depot) and we did see some at Home Depot and Lowes. You might check them out.

Old 06-27-05, 04:19 AM
N
Well, the problem is, like I said in my original post, that to get the black version of the sink that I want from HD it's double the cost because it has to be special ordered.

Thinking about going back to HD and talking to a manager, all casual-like.... you never know!

The thing is, there's no indication that the other colours will cost more (much less double) if you want anything other than white. It just says "also available in"... and shows colour chips of an almond colour, grey and black but there's NO mention anywhere that it will cost extra to get those colours. I'm hoping that if I point that out nicely to somebody there then I can get the one that I want...

Doesn't hurt to try. Otherwise, I guess I'm stuck with SS because I just can't imagine spending $400+ for a kitchen sink.

Thanks for all the suggestions/help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: