painting cheap furniture

Old 07-02-05, 08:05 AM
rhklepinger
Visiting Guest
painting cheap furniture

Hello! I would really appreciate any help! I bought an entertainment center and decided to paint it red. It is pressed board with some sort of a finish on it. I lightly sanded it and painted it. The paint does not seem to stick. I'm guessing I should have used a primer or something else to get rid of the outer coat but now I'm stuck. I really would like to use it since I bought it but don't know what to do! I will take any help that is offered!
Thank you in advance!!

Old 07-03-05, 12:50 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After sanding, was the finish still shiny? The finish on cheap furniture is usually sprayed on with a combination of stain and protective coating. Light sanding would help, but a deglosser would have been better.
The finish on a pressboard kit may have nothing more than a thin, cheap laminate applied to the surface. If this is what you have, paint will not last long. Its like painting formica.
On the really cheap stuff, the finish is something akin to shelf liner. Do any paint prep and it starts coming off.

Yes, you should have primed it. Primer forms a bond between the surface and the paint. Paint is not a substitue for primer.

Best option is to buy real wood furniture at an unfinished furniture store.

What to do now? Scrape off the loose paint. And start over.

Old 07-16-05, 03:55 PM
brianajt
Visiting Guest
painting mdf, laminate

Do you know what to do with that? THROW IT OUT! paint wouldn't have adhered to it in the first place, and now that you have painted it its junk. I buy used furniture and paint it all the time. I make sure it is solid wood, it can be refinished and painted and infinite number of times...

Old 07-16-05, 06:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sand to provide tooth and adhesive surface, priime with a couple coats of primer/sealer like Zinnser and then paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: