Correcting Paint Job on Paneling

Old 07-03-05, 05:53 PM
Seawind
Visiting Guest

Prior to moving into our home, furniture oil was applied to paneling in the den, and it was subsequently painted six months later. Preparing to paint the area, it was inadequately sanded, primed (Kiltz), and painted. Shortly after completing the job, it was noted that some of the paint easily chipped and peeled away, and continues to do so.

Now, three years later, I would like to repaint this area. However, would like to find out how to get the oil and paint removed from the paneling prior to the repaint job. Is it necessary/possible to attempt to remove the current paint? Any suggestions?

Old 07-04-05, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
Welcome to the forum

As you know the first paint job failed because of inadequate prep. It would be best to remove the old paint and start over. Otherwise you could sand it well and hope that the paint that remains is adhered well. Personally I like jobs done right so I don't have to spend time and money redoing them later.

Old 07-04-05, 05:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
In this instance you probably should remove all the old material

Old 07-04-05, 05:51 PM
Seawind
Visiting Guest

Appreciate your advice. What steps would you take to remove the current paint and to repaint?

Old 07-05-05, 07:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
Paint and varnish remover would be your best bet. There are many to choose from, read the labels and pick the best one for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: