Paint Went wrong...big time!

Old 07-07-05, 01:46 AM
PattiLynn
Visiting Guest
Paint Went wrong...big time!

I am just finishing up almost 2 years of 'updoing' my place. The bathroom being the worst, so saved it for last. The previous owners put the wrong paint on top of another paint and it all blistered up. Fun to peel! So I cleaned up all the mess by scraping up the excess paint, then used DryDex Spackling to create texture on the wall. (I had to do this because they had made such a mess with the walls). I then used Behr Undercoater primer and sealer, to be followed by"tada" Glidden interior latex enamel semi-gloss. I thought I was on a roll! Everything looked good until I gently pulled off the 'blue' paint tape. It lifted all the paint and I was able to 'unpaint' the wall; I simply took it all off. Could someone please let me know what I did wrong; what I can do to make it right. I thought I had this one together after all these years. Many many thanks...and an aloha from Hawaii, Patti

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 06:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Sounds as if nothing stuck because of slick enamel on the wall. You need to sand and probably prime with an oil base primer first. I have never used spackling for any large jobs [always use joint compound] so I don't know if that contributed to the problem or not.

Old 07-07-05, 11:41 AM
PattiLynn
Visiting Guest
Red face

Thank you for getting back to me. The spackling stuck to the wall just fine...it's the primer and paint that did not. So, today will go get an oil base primer and try that. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Old 07-07-05, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yep, sand it, clean it, oil prime it.
It imperative to remove the dust after sanding, as this will kill the adhesion big-time.

Old 07-07-05, 08:29 PM
PattiLynn
Visiting Guest
Red face

That's what I am doing. Tho, for the other two walls will be using joint compound to texture the walls. Bought the oil base primer, so hope that works. Many thanks.