Can I paint over a rubbermaid like surface?

Old 07-11-05, 02:16 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I paint over a rubbermaid like surface?

The shutters on my house are made of a rubbermaid like material.I wanted to change the look,but local homecenters dont have my size in the right color.I got a few cans of "paint for plastic".Will this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 03:50 PM
Will it work? Most likely.
Make sure to clean the surface, and at least scuff it with some sandaper, and dust it off real well.

Old 07-11-05, 07:09 PM
D
Make sure you get the paintable ones(They usually are gray and will say "paintable") I've had better luck painting those than the colored ones. Not sure why it makes a difference, but it does.

Del

Old 07-11-05, 07:10 PM
H
thanx for the reply prowallguy.I dont expect it to be a permanent fix,but thought it might look good for now.

Old 07-11-05, 07:13 PM
H
DelW. I cant find any paintable in my size.Not locally anyway.Thats H.D. and Menards.Not sure how well it will work,but thought I'd give it a shot.

Old 07-11-05, 09:19 PM
H
Also wondering if a primer is necessary.The shutters are presently a forest green.The new color will be a burgandy.If I have to primer,what is best.I read back a few pages about a guy using car paint.Is this also an option with out a gun?As in does it come in a aeresol?

Old 07-12-05, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 234 Posts
I wouldn't use auto paint [too expensive,must be sprayed]. You shouldn't need a primer. Any quality exterior latex should give good results. May take 2 coats to get good coverage.

Old 07-12-05, 07:15 AM
H
Hey Marksr.When you say any quality exterior latex,do you mean in a can.I sense that you do,but I thought you need special paint for plastic.I'd rather get a couple quarts in a can as I have to do the gable vent and front door as well.Right now I've got some cans of paint for plastic,would prefer another alternative.

Old 07-12-05, 10:39 AM
H
when I say ,in a can,I mean as opposed to spray paint.I have a wider variety of colors to choose from if I'm using a can of brush on exterior latex.

Old 07-12-05, 12:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 234 Posts
Yes I was refering to latex house paint. Latex works well on surfaces that flex - like vinyl. It can be brushed, rolled or sprayed. Often 2 quarts are about the price of 1 gal.

Old 07-14-05, 07:02 AM
H
One last question before I start. I clean them thoroughly and wiped them down with paint thinner.They have a woodgrain finish. Do I still have to rough the whole surface with sandpaper or just the smooth sides of the shutters?

Old 07-14-05, 02:50 PM
Lightly scuff sand the whole thing, and wipe them down to remove the sanding dust.

Old 07-19-05, 07:13 PM
H
Thanx for the help,guys.I finally got around to doing it and it looks pretty good.Ideally,I would have searched for paintable shutters,but I'm pretty impressed with the results.So,again,thanks for the advice.