Painting Garage Door....Is this right?

Old 07-14-05, 06:36 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Garage Door....Is this right?

I have a metal garage door that I am going to try to paint this weekend. The door is a "chocolate" brown. I did not paint the door this color, it came that way from the factory. I originally purchased the door that color because the trim on my house was brown. Now the trim is white and I want to paint the door white. From doing searches on this forum I should prime the door with a 100% acrylic primer, and then do a top coat using exterior latex or acrylic paint. A couple of questions that I have: When I went to HD is saw that the the acrylic primer is a water based primer. Is this what I am supposed to get? I ***ume so, but I am not sure. Also, for the top coat, should I be getting an "enamel" or "satin" or something else? Also, should I use a semi-gloss or flat white. What I am trying to accomplish is to paint my garage door white and not have it look like it was a brown door painted white. Finally, before I start painting, I am going to wash the door with some soapy water/ rinse, and then let dry. Do I need to do some other prep work other than that? I know these are a lot of simple questions, but I am just trying to make sure that I do it the right way.

Thanks

Craig

Old 07-14-05, 07:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Acrylic latex paint is usually recomended for metal doors. [oil base dries hard and won't flex like the latex will] You can top coat with any sheen but satin - gloss is apt to stay cleaner than flat. Cleaning the door should be enough prep be sure you rinse well. Plan on 3 coats of paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: