Exterior Paint vs.Stain

Old 07-14-05, 10:23 AM
paulguy
Visiting Guest
Question Exterior Paint vs.Stain

Hello,

If exterior stain has a warranty of 5 years, and an exterior paint has a warrany of 25, why would I use the stain? My house is 4 years old and the
stain is starting to peel. I'm looking for the best long term solution.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 07-14-05, 06:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Stain seldom peels. It protects and colors the surface. Paint is thicker, requires priming[on raw wood] and is apt to peel over time. Stain goes on quicker and easier than paint. IMO paint warrantty's are only a guide line for the quality. The paint manufacture rarely stands behind them as they can always find an excuse other than the paint to blame the failure on. I have never known of a paint store suppling a small time contractor with paint to redo work under warranty, however I have seen them supply paint under 'waranty' to high volume contractors.

Since paint has a thicker film it will wear longer provided it adheres to the surface.

Last edited by marksr; 07-15-05 at 05:38 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-15-05, 05:24 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The warranty is a marketing tool
Often the poorer quality product has a longer "warranty"

Your 4 year old stain is peeling?
Could you expand on this please?

Old 07-15-05, 08:47 AM
paulguy
Visiting Guest
Stain

The stain is flaking off.

Old 07-15-05, 11:17 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only stain I know of that will peel or flake off is a solid color stain. Semi-transparent stains soak into the wood fibers and do not peel or flake. If its semi-transparant stain that is peeling, its not the stain but whatever is under the stain (such as an old coat of paint).

Stain is a personal choice. Semi-transparent shows the wood grain (like fine furniture). Solid-color is available in a wider variety of colors than other stain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: