Repainting Kitchen Chairs and Table

Old 07-16-05, 06:07 PM
LeleAnne
Visiting Guest
Smile Repainting Kitchen Chairs and Table

We have recently moved and my kitchen table and chairs are not the right color. The top of my kitchen table is of course wood but the bottoms are painted blue.

Our new kitchen has beige and burgundy in it. I was thinking of repainting the kitchen chairs/table legs beige and then recovering the seats with a fabric that would look nice.

Any suggestions about where I can find ways to start this project? I know i would have to sand the paint off, but is there a certain type of paint to be used when I get ready to repaint them? Also, this table is very old but still in good condition. What can I do about chew marks my puppy has left on one of the legs?

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-18-05, 11:33 AM
Millipede
Visiting Guest
I've done quite a bit of repainting on my bedroom furniture.

Sand
PRIME
Paint
Varnish

No particular type of paint is needed, though I agree with those here who recommend NOT using something cheap from a big-box store.

- Millie

Old 07-18-05, 12:02 PM
LeleAnne
Visiting Guest
Any suggestions on what type of primer and varnish I use? Can I use just a regular paint primer? I am painting them a pretty light color. Is primer needed for light colors?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-18-05, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
If you use a good oil base or waterborne enamel you shouldn't need to use a varnish or poly top coat. If you do top coat with oil base poly or varnish please note that they will tend to yellow the finish color. I would use an oil base primer. If the top coat is compatible with the finish that is on the wood now you may not need to use a primer but it may aide in coverage of the old color. You may be able to patch the chew marks with putty or wood filler.

Old 07-18-05, 02:05 PM
LeleAnne
Visiting Guest
Great! That shouldn't be too hard. I appreciate everyone's help.

Question: Would it be okay to use the same paint I am using on my walls?

Old 07-18-05, 06:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
The wall paint probably isn't tough enough for the use the legs will get. Better to get a quart of oil enamel matched to the wall paint.

Old 07-19-05, 09:17 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Been there...done that...

for highly moveable and "prone to bumping" items like chairs and tables, only use the most durable, hard-surfaced paint available. Otherwise, after 6 months, the chips and dents will make the furniture look like crap.

You've got 2 choices:
1) 100% pure acrylic resin-based paint like PPG's Olympic Premium High Gloss Enamel (Lowe's only) Cost approx $30/gallon
2) Urethane enamel (available at fine autobody supply stores only...PPG, Sherwin Williams, etc.) Cost approx $30/quart (yes, 4x the best acrylic !)

With #2 above, a SPRAY application is best. However, if brushing is all that is available, be sure to get the slowest drying urethane "reducer" which will help to eliminate brush marks.

Anything else, like cheap latex or alkyld enamel paints, and you're asking for a lousy job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: