Orange peel effect on painted kitchen cupboards

Old 07-24-05, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Orange peel effect on painted kitchen cupboards

I have just started painting my kitchen cupboards. It was recommended by the paint store that I use a 'sponge' roller for a smooth finish, but it has produced an orange peel effect. I am using latex paint. Is there a way to remove the orange peel effect? What should I be using to get a smooth finish? I was originally going to spray them, would that have been a better choice?

Old 07-25-05, 11:04 AM
K
All is not lost, but you may have to do more sanding than usual. The secret is tipping off the paint. Use a brush to pull the orange peel speckles out. I've used both a regular dry brush and a foam brush, and have mastered the art. Do a search of the site for "tipping off" for the pros tips.

Good luck

Old 07-25-05, 02:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Never cared for the foam rollers but it is hard not to get orange peel with a roller unless you 'tip' the paint off with a brush. Adding a little floetrol to the paint will also help.

Old 07-26-05, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have searched the entire site and cannot find anything on 'tipping off'. If I use a brush to to knock down the orange peel effect, won't I be leaving brush strokes?

Old 07-26-05, 07:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The idea is to lightly use the tip of the brush to go over the wet paint. A light touch coupled with a good brush will barely leave brush marks which often can't be seen unless studied.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: