How to remove paint from a plastic trim?

Old 07-30-05, 05:27 AM
Nizz
Visiting Guest
How to remove paint from a plastic trim?

I recently bought a complete side trim for my car. the previous owner has painted it badly (i didnt realise how badly until i recieved the trim) in what looks like white gloss paint. here are some photos (sorry about the quality):
picture 1
picture 2
it is black underneath the paint, and this is what i hope to return it to. what is the best way to remove this paint? ive got some sandpaper (100 and 150) but some people have told me its a bad idea to use this on plastic, while others have said that i should! its likely that i will be spraying them black afterwards.
if anyone can give me any advice it would be great
thanks

Old 07-30-05, 08:30 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only sanding you'd want to do is to rough/scuff the surface to help your paint adhere.I wouldn't use anything rougher than 220 as you do not want to risk scarring or gouging the plastic.Also I'd go to an auto parts store and purchase some primer that is recommended for automotive plastic trim or simular.Go to an auto parts that has qualified help to assist you.Do not use ordinary home primers for this.Talk to the help concerning what's best to top coat with.Use paint suitable for plastics.One product that comes to mind is Fusion by Krylon but I'm not sure how well it would stand up for automotive use.Many automotive paints are lacquer based and the like.I'm not sure that's a good idea on plastic.

Old 07-30-05, 10:42 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No sanding
Your auto parts store should have the proper prep and paints in rattle cans
It needs to be stripped, prepped, and sprayed with the proper trim paint
Whichever brand the store carries should be fine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: