redoing stained wood trim on doors and baseboads

Old 07-31-05, 07:33 AM
Rosef
Visiting Guest
Question redoing stained wood trim on doors and baseboads

I have a home that is 27 yrs old and the wood trim around doors, windows and baseboards is a dark stain and doors are laminated wood. First question - if I paint over the wood trim and baseboards to white what can I do with the doors beings they are laminated? Or should I just clean them up and restain? Will it look bad with all dark doors and white trim and basewords? Need help getting ready to paint my walls but wanted to do the above first!!!

Last edited by Rosef; 07-31-05 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forum
First off when painting previouslly stained/varnished wood you need to do a good prep job. All wood work to be painted needs sanding and cleaning and then primed with a good oil base bonding primer. Then it can be top coated with latex or oil. I have painted a lot of homes with stained doors and painted trim, so that look isn't unheard of. I'm not sure what you mean by laminated doors. Flat hollow core doors are usually made out of luan or birch and with prep are paintable. When your home was built some builders used a prefinished masonite door that had a wood grain texture and was dark in color. These are also paintable. Don't forget to caulk [and putty if needed] all your trim for a professional looking job.

Old 08-02-05, 08:37 PM
Rosef
Visiting Guest
doors

Thanks for replying, yes they are flat hollow doors. All I know is they are not solid wood doors like ( for example) my front door. I guess which ever way I decide to go I have a lot of work ahead of me!!! H ow do you prime these doors if I decide to paint? Any input your can give me I'm grateful for beings I need to get started on it before I paint the walls in my house. Thanks!!

Old 08-03-05, 08:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
The doors need to be cleaned [remove wax and/or oil from fingers] & sanded, primed with an oil base bonding primer. Then they can be top coated with latex or oil. Usually takes 3 coats [1 primer 2 finish]