Is this the way to go . . . ?

Old 08-03-05, 04:43 AM
drdealer
Visiting Guest
Is this the way to go . . . ?

Hi,

I'm feeling guilty by constantly posting questions, but again I need your expert advice.

Basically, I would like to know if my plan sounds good. I was up all night yesterday browsing through this "Painting" forums, and made it all the way to page 15! So stringing the knowledge gained last night and before, here is what I have planned:

The previous homeowner, perhaps drunk at the time, pretty much covered everything indoors in flat white paint. This was roughly 5 years ago (and I could not paint since then--when I moved in). Even then he did a very poor job in some areas (some door/trim areas show previous paint layer).

So basically,

1) Walls of the upstairs level ==> satin, latex topcoat, preceded by lots of spackling of nail holes and cracks, then spot prime only.
2) Kitchen and washroom walls ==> semi-gloss (is this sheen too much?). Would you suggest latex / alkyd here? How about the ceiling for these rooms?
3) All trim, baseboards, and doors ==> alkyd high-gloss. Due to poor painting here, especially the baseboards, is a primer required? Or can it be skipped since it's (though unevenly) covered in flat paint anyway?

I read in one thread here that nowadays alkyd paints are almost unneeded as latex fulfills all requirements. Should I then still use alkyd for number 3 above?

Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. Any help greatly appreciated, and as always thanks for your patience.

Last edited by drdealer; 08-03-05 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 07:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
No need to feel guilty. It is harder to get answers for unasked questions.
#1 sounds good
#2 satin or semi-gloss - which ever you prefer. I would only use aklyd/oil if that is what is on the surface now.
#3 you shouldn't need to prime but a good sanding is in order. Personally I wouldn't use oil [but I'm affected by occupational overexposer] The new waterborne products dry as hard as the aklyd does but doesn't yellow,cleans up with water,dries hard and fast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: